Monday, November 07, 2005

Jambalaya Storm

Last night I went on another rampage in the kitchen -- or maybe it was the remnants of the previous day's storm. Whatever it was, I wanted to have supper for my wife and her friend when the got home from their Sunday outing. I decided around noon that it was going to be pasta -- jambalaya style! I've only had jambalaya pasta in restaurants before. I remember some of the ingredients, but just made the rest up. It had to be spicy, so I bought a hot pepper -- and I had other spices at home: cayenne pepper, chili powder and black pepper. I also cheated, as I can never make a pasta sauce from scratch. So I bought two bottles of Catelli Garden Select Country Mushroom sauce to serve as the base. The pasta was Olivieri Rainbow Pasta with Three Cheeses -- not the pasta normally associated with jambalaya. The vegetables were the usual, and then some: onions, sweet pepper, eggplant, spinach, and parsley.


First I cooked the chicken, then transferred it to the pot that would eventually get the sauce. To the chicken, I added onions, garlic and ginger. Yes, I use ginger in pasta. I use ginger in everything!


Meanwhile, I had a big pot of water on the stove, getting slowly to a boil for the tortellini.


Since this was going to be jambalaya, I needed shrimps. As usual, I had to cook the shrimps to get rid of most of the water still in it. I prefer it that way.


As the two pots and frying pan were going, I launched into the vegetables, getting them ready for the sauce.


I added the vegetables slowly to the sauce, making sure to put the ones that needed more cooking in first. I also added a little wine, as I was told once in a restaurant that there was some in the jambalaya sauce.



The tortellini itself only took about 10 minutes to cook. Once the water was boiling, I dunked it all in and stirred constantly to make sure none got stuck at the bottom.


At the end, there was a meal at the table. I was assured that it was good.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete